Monday, July 17, 2017

The Body of the Barn

When you build a barn in fabric, you have to divide it into three chunks - body, roof and foreground. If you build it this way, you can easily sew it with straight seams and without sewing into corners.

Yes, this thing is enormous. It's 58" (147cm) wide.

 I'm really happy with a lot of details in this barn. I'm happy with how this window came out. When I first saw the barn, the horse Daisy was looking out this window. Here I have used a dark fabric to indicate the edge of the building, as well as the lower edge of the window. I was unsure about using the black batik to indicate the inside of Daisy's stall, but I went with it because it was the same black I used in the windows of the doors. It "sits" back in the background and allows you to read it as a space back there, and that makes me happy too.

6 comments:

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Wow, that is huge!!! But I love the way it is looking.

Nancy J said...

great stall, and huge, that is massive.

Pat said...

This is going to be one BIG quilt!!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Cool! I'll be very interested in seeing pictures of your progress as you go.
xx, carol

Quiltdivajulie said...

SO true about the sequence for construction. And yes, those details like the stall and the window really DO matter. Happy you went with the gray/tan fabric.

Patti said...

I love watching this come together. Thanks for sharing.